Sunday, October 19, 2008

Season of Giving

So its been a while but i have had a lot of things on my mind lately.   The plans are underway for the next trip to New Orleans through the New Orleans Ministry at the Church of the Presentation.  I am now a member of the Core team which is very exciting, challenging and rewarding.  While I am the youngest member and one of the few females, I am very blessed to help with the planning.   With the plans underway and the thought of not being able to go due a full time job (the real world really sucks sometimes) and no money to do it. I think I am going to sit this one out and save my money for my spring break trip to Florida.  

Anyways, as the holidays rapidly approach and the threat of a struggling economy makes the headlines daily, I have been doing a lot of thinking about what types of things I am going to be doing for christmas.  I would really like to make most of my presents and have already started as the ideas come.  I have one complete. I had decided also that making something, might include making a donation.  Most people love it when you don't buy them a item to show your love but instead show you love by giving something to someone who has less then you.  I have sat in meetings the past couple of weeks with representatives of food banks who talk about their struggles.  The fact that so many times before the money didn't come in at the holidays, but this is the first year in their history where they don't have the food or the financial needs.   I have sat in meetings with organizations that talk about the devastation that is still so wide spread in Texas and yet no one talks about it.  This breaks my heart.  Daily I think about how little money I am making in my job and yet everyday I still have a house to go home to and there is food on the table.  Yet, these people have no jobs, no homes and very little food.  So I have decided to divide my means, even though it feels like so little, and I will donate to organizations that I hold dear to my heart.  Where I know, that the money will get to the people who need it most.  I am thinking that my two target organizations will be Heart with Hands  and Habitat for Humanity.  My other idea was to buy thanksgiving dinners for people who live near me.  I have to give it some more thought and maybe I could do all three. We will see.

I think that you should consider doing this, this holiday season.  It will be here before we know it and while most of us have so much there are so many who have nothing.  

No comments: