Monday, June 30, 2008

The Unthinkable

I finished the book last night that I mentioned in one of my last entries.  The Unthinkable.  It was amazing.  Talk about getting the thoughts going.  When I ride on the bus into the city, I am constantly thinking about the hazards around me and if something were to happen how would I react.  The book looked at how people react in disasters and why.  It kind of made me feel like everyone should go through some sort of disaster simulation to know how they will react.  But, then I started to think about no matter how hard you can't absolutely be prepared for anything.  While so many people focus on the recovery part of a disaster after the initial impact, everyone overlooks the preparedness part.  Can we really be 100% prepared?  After a disaster occurs most people don't want to anticipate the next one.  This is something I have been thinking about as I have offered to do outreach in St. Bernard's Parish regarding disaster preparedness.  I just completed a 200 slide curriculum which how to be prepared in a disaster and I am wondering if the people like those in St. Bernard's would even be receptive to it.  Most of them lost everything.  My Uncle Bruce and Aunt Gini dealt with devastating flooding at their house on the Delaware and yet they did everything in their power to be prepared for the next flood event.  The man on CNN talking about shrink wrapping his house...that was my Uncle Bruce.  At the dinner table last night he was talking about how after the news discovered what he had done, FEMA had contacted him about the idea.  Little did they know that it was an example in their flood avoidance guide book.  Shows you how much they know their projects.  Being the personality type of a 2, I am always wanting to fix things.  This gives me more motivation to get further into the field.  However, I feel like I have hit a huge road block.  I need experience to get a full time job. I have lots of experience but not in what people want of course.  I feel like people are overlooking some important elements when they hire.  I hate that you have to put your personality on a piece of paper.  I am sucky at describing myself.  And to get hired on that?!  I am grateful for Lisa, who saw my abilities and how essential I was.  Now I just need to make a little money for what I am doing.  Although I now have some really cool stuff on my resume.  While employers aren't going to care that I got sent to Brooklyn by myself on the subway, they are going to care that I have attended conferences, worked on developing this exercise that we will be carrying out on July 12th and I am managing volunteers!!   Anyways, I have rambled but these are some of my recent thoughts as I impatiently await what the Lord has in store for me in the coming months.  While I really have no control over it or way to be 100 % prepared, I can take the steps to participate, not anticipate (as the Boston BFF used to say).  Pray for patience for Megan!!

No comments: