Monday, May 19, 2008

Day One complete!


Well our first day of work is complete. Although it was filled with chaos at times it was eventually productive. At orientation for St Bernard Project we got to meet Jocelyn who is the homeowner of the 100th house that St. Bernard Project built. She has a very interesting story that made some of us choke up a bit. We then went to our first location to try and repair termite damage. After inspecting the task at hand we realized that we would have to take almost the whole house apart and that was too much for us to handle. We headed back to the office and got a reassignment. We worked on Palmetto Ct with three other volunteers who were professors from different places who had come to work with the project. Three of my teammates worked on siding while I worked on installing locflooring. It involved power tools!! The pictures below show the house and room I worked on. I realized while I was working that I really was working on a lot more than just flooring. I was working on my patience. The flooring was finicky and some of my male teammates are a little stubborn. There is something still so gratifying when you finally get that peace in. There is still so much be done here and they really need our teams help.


I forgot to metion last night that I got a chance to go by the house that I worked on in March. Almost two months later the siding still is not finished and I dont know about progress on the inside. I just thought foresure that it would have been complete by now. I think Team UNCA needs to come back and show them where its at once again.

We have a bar b q tonight as an entire team with hamburgers, hot dogs and oysters. Im excited! Look for more exciting adventures tomorrow!!

Uncle Bruce always taught me that you cant have all work and no fun. So here are some pictures from our fun adventures on Bourbon Street yesterday afternoon.

No comments: