Friday, May 23, 2008

Stickinesss!

Well we worked late yesterday so I didn't have time to update our adventures and I am a little blurry eyed as I got up early to update so I hope that this makes sense

My crew led by eric returned to the original house they were working on which was on Ivy place. Much of the floor had rotted out so we had to pull up the hardwoods and replace it with plywood. A relatively easy task at hand was made very complicated by the fact that the humidity was almost 100% all day. By 10 oclock we felt like we had taken showers with our clothes on. It was gross but we were determined to be finished by lunchtime. Things were moving along until Mia Toshi gave us a visit. She is the embedded reporter with our entire team. She took both still photos for articles she was writing and movies for a news story she is putting together for News Channel 12 NJ. In reflection time on Wednesday night I had talked about how I woudl someday like to be the director of FEMA and so that is what she interviewed me about. I was looking pretty rough in all of my stickiness but I at least looked like I had been working hard. It was godo to have her there and be looking for my pictures and story. I dont know when they will be published/air. So after we were slowed down by her we ended finsihing up on the slow note. We thought we were done for the day and gladly but we were reassigned to a house on nancy dr that was owned by a young couple. There we were supposed to participate in sheetrocking. It was miserable. There were too many cooks in the kitchen and most of the sheetrock was cracked which made it very difficult to be productive. I think it took us two hours to hang one ceiling in a small room. I am hoping today that I will have task involving carpentry again. I know that these are tasks that need to be completed be we were being counterproductive instead of producative because there were so many people in the house. I also kept cutting myself which wasnt good.

Last night we had a Louisiana cookout with a local fisherman whose house the church had worked on in the past. He made fried oysters that were not prepared in batter, speckled trout, local shrimp, gumbo and oyster pasta. It was all so delicious and wholesome. He also shared his story with us and some of the ways that he tries to survive and make a living since so much of the population is still missing . It was incredible to see some of his footage. He was also featured on Storm Stories with Jim Cantore which was really cool. The fisherman got no support from the government and this caused Captain George to lose all faith in our government. Another motivating factor for me!

With my fingers crossed that the stickiness has been swept away by the rain, I have to go and get ready for the day. We have been running all over the place and I hope to upload some of my pictures this afternoon when i have a little time. That is all going to depend on how late I work though.

I also decided when I was falling asleep last night that I will continue the blog throughout my disaster adventures to come. My career path originated with a hammer and nails and a whole lotta love and it will continue. I hope that this will not be my last time to St. Bernard Parish as they still need so much help. So we will see where God takes me!!

Hope all is well in the AVL and the NJ! I can't believe today is our last day of work. I am definitely going to miss my team (and the chop saw too)!

No comments: