Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Reality of the situation

So, I haven't yet left new jersey and my wheels are already turning.  A totally new situation for me, I am excited yet nervous.  The team was blessed at mass and i got to meet some of my fellow team mates.  It is going to really be a great week and I really felt like an adult who was respected by my peers.  Sometimes being a female it is hard to gauge how the older/more intelligent males will respect a person who has done this kind stuff before.  Anyways, when Father Bob blessed us tonight he talked about a team of nurses who will be joining us mid week to set up a clinic.  This intrigued me and I have been thinking about it ever since.  4 women are going to a city in the UNITED STATES to set up a clinic because there it is a necessity.  Now I hate politics and I know that universal health care has been in the news but if you took the city name you would have thought that these women were going to another country. While I am the one who lives to help others, I think that sometimes we get so busy helping other countries that we forget our own people.  Just a few years after hurricane Katrina and these people still don't have access to healthcare.  I am a little disgusted.  At the mention of this and after some pondering I think that there is a little spark in my heart.  This spark is going to be the booster that will push me even harder this week to make a difference.  While the connections I will make and relationships formed are so important,  I think that making a difference is of equal or more importance.  I decided the other day that as impractical as it is...i would love to be a professional volunteer.  I guess I will just have to find a rich man.   Well, those are my final thoughts before my adventure begins and I need to head to bed before my alarm awakens me early for journey.   A journey that is bound to be with me for a lifetime.  

It is important for me to also thank you all once again for keeping track of me and thinking about me.  I am reminded once again that there really is no "I" in team and that without teams you can't accomplish anything.  so Thank you!

No comments: